Me and my kiddo

Me and my kiddo

Friday, March 29, 2024

Alfie: Heart smiles

Well, that was probably the fastest trip from tears to smiles I've ever had for heart ache.

I know grief isn't linear but I cried for 5 hours Sunday, 2 hours Monday, 1 hour Tuesday, 10 minutes Wednesday, 0 minutes Thursday, and today I'm smiling.

These are the updates I've received from his foster who originally had Alfie was considering adopting him.  

1-Thank you for all these wonderful pictures. It warmed my ❤️  and your very thoughtful and detailed explanation of the situation and your tough decision to rehome Alfie was both heartening and heartbreaking. We are going to give that little fellow all we can think of to help him overcome (although it does sound like you already did that and more...).

2- Alfie and I are lying down for a short nap, he's doing pretty well and the ride wasn't bad at all once I started playing nature sounds that included a lot of bird tweets (Thanks YouTube πŸ˜€)

3- Alfie is doing well, whiney of course but it's mostly manageable so far. He slept with me in my bed last night, something I know didn't happen at your house and not really a long range plan with my dogs but we usually let the fosters up with us in the early stages. But he was relaxed all night and then this morning after I let him out to go potty he came back inside and disappeared, and I found him up in bed again! We have gone for a couple of walks, and played fetch in the house. So far so good πŸ‘ 😁

4- Alfie has been doing really well, I hope Tracker and you are healing❤️‍🩹. My husband and I took hime hiking yesterday in Woodland Park, and he got a treat at McDonald's, a double cheeseburger with extra pickles (and of course no onions😁), and he has enjoyed sticking his head out the window on the car rides when not going highway speed. I'll have to leave him alone when I go to work tonight but we're letting him on the human beds for now and he loves to go there even when we're not there so I'm hopeful he'll sleep there while I'm gone. 

So, now Alfie is a solo dog getting pampered by two, mostly-retired humans that love him. It very much sounds like he's found his forever home and just took a detour. I'm all smiles and Tracker and I are pretty darn happy too. Yesterday, we hung out on the porch for a while just enjoying the breeze, the wind chimes, and some idyllic rest together. Alfie found this spot stressful because a person walks by on the street every half hour or so.







So, it's been quite the roller coaster but I think everyone is in a happier and more peaceful spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment